Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Balance of Life and Work

This is my first blog so forgive me if at some point I start to ramble.

There are times when I look around at the friends that I have, and don't get me wrong I love each and everyone of my friends. But I wonder sometimes is this fast pace life that we lead the one that The Lord has laid out for us. Everyone talks about The Lord wants us to do this and that, but don't you think sometimes he just wants us to sit and relax.

I enjoy the times where my wife and I just lay on the couch watching a movie. I enjoy the times where I can go with a buddy to a building that he built and just be amazed that a man named FISH can build such a great building. I love the times at the lake with two close friends, sometimes more, where we can just sit and talk about what is going on and hear the waves crash from a passing boat.

Of course, as I am writing this, I am thinking about the million things I need to do at work, the songs that we are playing this weekend in leading worship at Visio Dei, the upcoming NC STATE football game, and the fact that I need to wash up after a softball game. Further more, while I am thinking about all of the "stuff" that fills my day, my beautiful wife is in the bed asleep and I have not joined her because I cannot calm down my brain enough in order to lay still and not wake her every second.

I will finish up with a question, can we truly honor The Lord with our lives, when we are going so fast and doing so much that we barely have time to breath?

5 comments:

Shannon Smith said...

Welcome.

You know what's bad? For me, writing on my blog has become another one of those things on my list.

I was talking to Corey tonight, and he said that I was an "active" person. Active is one way to put it. Busy and over committed are two other words that come to mind. I told him that I have tried to cut back on some of the things I do, namely the ammount of sports I participate in. I realize that may be hard to believe. I have replaced some of that time with reading more, spending time with people, and furthering God's kingdom. All that to say that I am trying to honor God more with my life, but I am still busy.

I think that God created the idea of a sabbath for a reason. In His infinite wisdom, He knew that we would end up filling six days with a week's worth of stuff. We just have to make taking a Sabbath a priority. I'm not talking about not working on Sunday, or not breaking the grass when you walk on it. I'm talking about taking a day, any day, to rest and refuel, and know that in doing so you aren't falling behind, but you doing exactly what your supposed to be doing.

Again, welcome. Great first post.

Dana E. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dana E. said...

Hun, you're a great guy and you're very inspired....but, can you please post sometime this year...in 2008? haha- :) Love you!

snl said...

John, nice comments to reflect on. The song says it best, "Be Still and Know that He is God".
See you soon!

Revolu said...

post more!